Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First Ultrasound & Dr. appt ~ 5 Weeks, 6 Days (late post from 6.29.11)

  First ultrasound was today!! I have to admit I was looking forward to the relief of seeing the heartbeat and knowing just how far along I am according to measurements. Busy morning at work, as I am cleaning up the office and getting ready to turn over the position of Event Coordinator for the Scoular Ballroom back to it's rightful holder. Shaun sent me a sweet note on facebook this morning that I never want to loose, so I'll post it here. I am so blessed to have a man who has been so involved with this pregnancy already, and has supported me during some slightly crazy moments already.
  "Today you get to hear your baby's heart and meet the future wonder you have created with me. I cannot imagine being married to a better woman and no one on earth presently has made me more happy than you, by giving me a child."
  Shaun and I took extended lunch breaks and headed over to the doctor's office. I had 32 oz of water in me which had been there for an hour, so I was in a slightly concentrated mood while driving. Shaun tried to lighten the mood for us by making me laugh, and I felt bad, but had to ask him to stop trying to make me laugh; I was barely in control here!

I started getting really chatty from being so uncomfortable, and the technician doing the ultrasound was wonderful and let me use the bathroom as soon as she was finished getting some measurements. Shaun and I stared at the monitor waiting to catch a glimpse of our little wonder, and finally found it. Actually we saw the yoke sack (babies have those?!) and something just under it fluttering away. The technician said that blurry line moving away was the baby and it's little heart. It looked like the heart was as big as the body! She said this is the smallest she has seen a baby, and that if we had come in even a day earlier, we might not have been able to find it at all! She set our due date as February 22, 2012 biased on the measurements. We have one tiny little picture of the baby from the ultrasound. Have to admit, I was slightly disappointed with how small the picture was. Baby McAfee is located between the two little dots under the arrow. 106 beats a minute for it's little heart. Wish so badly there had been video of it.


  Later we had our appointment with Dr. Garnette- who is wonderful! Shaun read our list of questions, which he had doubled in size waiting in the waiting room. My questions were at top and serious. His questions started out with, "Can she have Cheesecake Factory whenever she wants it?" and had just a few real questions in it. I like how he's thinking! He took me out for Cheesecake factory that night ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment