Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Snow Continues to Fall - written April 2013

"Snow! I don't even like the sound of it!" What is Christmas by Transiberian Orchestra


Mid April and today we had more snow. It seems that this is the winter that will never end! Having lived in Alaska for 6 years, I take a lot of flack for even mentioning that winter seems long- in my defence, I have to say that in Alaska it's expected. This is the lower '48 people! Shorter winters are part of the reason I agreed to move thousands of miles south.



It's hard to listen to people complain about day after day, however I can't help but love some of the creative humor it has caused. I will admit that the grey skies have gotten to my mood a little. Tanning beds beckon with their rays of warmth, and cause one to weigh the risk of getting cancer with being warm and getting a nice bronze going instead of this washed out look.

Huge events have been going on around the world and here in the good old USA this week. North Korea's constant threats of nuking us have become slightly more civil, however it's the Boston Marathon bombings and a fertilizer plant in Waco Texas exploding that are on our minds most. When the news of amputations and children dying are playing in our minds there are two things that immediately come to my mind: 1) Evil is a reality 2) Evil is outnumbered.
I can only hope to live up to the example set by the mother of Fred Rogers when my own children look to me for answers and perspective when horrible things happen. We hear people asking the question, how do we respond and not allow fear to grab hold of us? Cartoons have pictures of people simply turning off the news as one way to shut out fear. Staying informed without the medias constant spin and focus on the horror of these events is hard, but not impossible. It is a good idea to limit how many times you stare at the carnage and continue on with life as you are needed in the present.
Although I believe in stepping up and doing what we can, I do believe that going on with our lives is one of the best ways to move past this. Not forgetting, but continuing on. Where do we get our confidence from to do so? Personally, I get my confidence from my faith in Jesus Christ and God the Father and the presence of His Holy Spirit. When I cross myself, I am making a commitment (as well as showing reverence to my Lord) to my purpose of being here on earth. Tragic events happen in our fallen world, however I have hope, purpose to keep on keeping on, and can trust that in the end each horrific event will be placed before a great and just Judge, whether or not we handle it correctly in the hands of our own law in the present time.
I have actually found peace in watching the snow continue on. There is only so much that I can control, the weather and free will are two of the things I cannot. The world will carry on. Seasons will change in their own timing instead of ours, and I can learn to see the beauty of that. That there are limits to human control is somehow comforting. Good and evil will continue their battle until the end of the world- but eventually that day will present itself, and with it comes a victory so blindingly brilliant, that I find myself anxiously waiting for it.
In the meantime, the snow continues to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment