Tuesday, May 31, 2016

One of "THOSE" Days

Ever have one of those days that just wasn't meant to be? I am in the middle of one.

It didn't start out as a bad day. The baby woke up at 6:30am (that's sleeping in lately) and although he had wet through his disposable diaper, pj's, sheets AND part way through his wet pad, nursed himself back to sleep for another 20 minutes. That's a rare thing after that much clean up activity so I'll take it!

I woke up to someone shaking something rather close to my head- sounded like legos, but (thank goodness) we don't own any of those yet. Then it dawned on me,in my state of not yet awake-ness, that I hadn't put the gate up in the hallway to catch our toddler. Actually it's more of a slowing down the toddler as he mastered how to operate (or push through in dire circumstances), the gate early last month. OH NO! Although usually sweet and well behaved, this kid can devastate an entire house in five minutes and I had no idea how long he had been awake. I had just bought a container of oriental crackers on sale the day before; they were now mostly gone. Except the orange half moon shaped ones, those were spread all over. The dog had started the clean up process, but even the dog has some OCD issues and was collecting them to her favorite spot above the stairs before eating. I just let her continue. There were cars spread throughout three rooms, but otherwise no other damage. Celebrate and get going on the day. The I hear the baby grunt- twice and I just knew it wasn't going to be good. It wasn't. Rinsed everything off, bathed the baby and stuck the pj's out to drip dry outside until they could find themselves in the wash.

Boys were great, both eating some hot cereal happily and I was feeling pretty good. I needed more coconut milk, so I got the blender my brother gave me out of the dishwasher. Unknown to me, a piece had broken off during the washing process. It seemed fine. I measured out the coconut flakes while running the water to get it good and hot. Added 8 cups of too hot to touch it water, and turned it on. Something was wrong- a little water was trickling- BLAM- the dang thing basically exploded all over the kitchen. Crazy hot water and coconut flakes all over me, the floor, the sink, running into the open dishwasher, the rug, the backsplash and everything on the countertop. The kids were fine, safely away. After dealing with that we moved to morning nap because that is how long cleaning it up took.

Set up Gabriel with some books, turned on the "Rain for Sleep" sounds, and sat. Now Tristan is a sweet little second born who hates to miss out on anything. So if he hears his brother's voice, he wakes himself up and is ready to go. Just as he was almost asleep, Gabriel ran in the room announcing himself- this happened three times.

Baby asleep, time to get lunch for Gabriel. How has this day gone so fast?! Gabriel's eating happily, I pull out the immersion blender and make my coconut milk slowly, three cups at a time till I reached a gallon standing on leftover wet flakes I had missed during clean up. Okay, this day will be fine. I run a load of laundry and then it's time to read. This is usually a lot of fun for Gabriel and I, but he started ripping the pages. After a time out, we decided Curious George dvd was a safer bet for today. So we snuggled and had a good time watching and snuggling. Tristan woke up, we all hung out for two hours playing and attempting to do homework. At one point I had to handle a situation with Gabriel and unknown to me, Tristan decided to give me an assist with my homework. I turned around, panicked silently, and came back to find it all deleted. Swell.

I'm taking a break from wedding planning for a while (maybe forever as a full out business) and am selling some of my wedding stash. Someone picked up a few items just as I was ready to put the boys down, this worked well. She asked me to give me directions as her gps wasn't working with our address, and after sending a detailed list while nursing a baby who hates it when I don't focus and throws his hands all over my touch screen messing it up repeatedly, I heard her pull in as I hit send. Well, that's annoying. Oh well, this woman is paying me to take away some of my clutter. It's fine. As I put the baby down he grabbed my hair and ruined what had been a decent pony tail. I grabbed my box, headed outside and met one of the most put together mom's I have ever seen in an adorable skirt, blouse, sweater, tights, and cute hair/makeup.

Someday I'll have my act together again enough that I can actually blow dry my hair and put together an outfit for myself, right? For all the insanity that can go on in my day to day stay at home mom life, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Its so much more demanding and tiring than anything I've ever done- but it's easily the best and most rewarding thing as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment