Thursday, May 10, 2012

New Summer Recipes!

White Rabbit Salad

This one I proudly made like my great grandmother- nothing measured, just dump items of choice as much as you want. Add, delete and happily eat away! I stole this one from my friend, Shaula- who stole it from a mutual friend,  Jef. As a general rule of thumb, if Jef makes it (a chef for a local catering company), and Shaula approves it (a personal trainer), it's going to be delicious and healthy!

Start with cottage cheese and mix in whatever healthy fruits, nuts and seeds you like. Here is what I used- please note that the picture I am going to attach is after two days old. It's still good, but doesn't look as pretty as when freshly made.

Cottage cheese, one diced apple, one diced orange (or can of mandarin oranges not diced), sunflower seeds, grapes (halved), honey, lemon juice, and my friend Shaula (whom I stole the recipe from) puts in poppy seeds.
                                         White Rabbit Salad

Chicken Hawaiian

NO COOKING NEEDED!! Woo-hoo!

1 (12.5oz) can of chunk chicken breast (Kirkland brand, Costco, used acceptable preservatives for me)
1/2 cup celery, diced
1 medium apple, chopped
1 cup pineapple chunks
2 T. plump raisins  (I added WAY more to mine cause it was so good)
2 t. toasted sesame seeds (I didn't have any, so I subbed with sunflower seeds)
5 T. mayo (I used Canola)
1/2 t. curry powder

Mix Mayo with curry powder and combine with all other ingredients. Top with extra sesame seeds.

                                         Chicken Hawaiian


Sassy Chicken Salad

NO COOKING NEEDED!!

1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained (I diced my own fresh)
1/2 cup mayo (I used canola)
1 T. honey
1 (12.50z) canned chicken breast
1 cup celery, thinly sliced
1 cup grapes, halved
1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped (I subbed with sunflower seeds to make more affordable)

Mix and chill


 Unfortunately, it didn't didn't last long enough to take a picture of this dish.


Pasta Carbonara
4-6 servings

3/4 lb penne
8 bacon slices, cut crosswise in 1/2 inch strips (I used real bacon bits)
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
3/4 to 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I hate grating this stuff by hand, so I used packaged)
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Pinch of paprika
fresh thyme leaves and sprigs for garnish (haha, totally didn't purchase this)

1) Cook penne in salted water according to package. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid and drain, returning to cooking pot- cover to keep warm.

2) Cook, drain and prep bacon. Add cream to bacon and simmer for three minutes until slightly thickened.

3) Whisk eggs and Parmesan together, add to cream stirring well. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from heat and generously season with salt and pepper.

4) Toss sauce with penne. Reheat gently if needed. If sauce is too thick, add some cooking water reserved earlier. Serve on preheated plates; sprinkled with paprika and garnish with thyme.


                                         Pasta Carbonara


Chicken and Tequila Fettuccine
4 servings

2-3 cans of chunk chicken breast
3 T. soy sauce
3 T. butter
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 T. fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 cup jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (it actually calls for 1/2 a pepper, but I made an awesome mistake and will continue making it with 1/2 a cup)
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 T. amber tequila
juice of 1 lime
1 red onion, thinly sliced (I am allergic to red onions, so I didn't use this)
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 yellow pepper, cut into strips (I subbed with a green pepper, and I thought it tasted better)
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 lb spinach fettuccine, freshly cooked and drained

1) mix chicken and soy sauce; set aside. Melt butter over med heat. Saute cilantro, garlic and jalapeno for 5 minutes. Add brother, tequila and lime juice; simmer until a thick paste. Remove and set aside. (Mine was still on the runny side)

2) Add chicken mix, red onions and peppers to pan. Lower heat, cover and cook, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through and veggies are crisp-tender.

3) Add cream and cilantro paste to pan, Bring to a simmer, stirring. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

4) Add fettuccine to sauce and mix well. Serve on hot plates.


                                     Chicken and Tequila Fettuccine
       "One of the best things I have ever eaten!" - My husband, Shaun

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thanks for tagging me! can't wait to try these...except the rabbit one, lol!

    ReplyDelete